Saturday, July 24, 2010

"Sweet like candy to my soul, sweet you rock and sweet you roll. Lost for you I'm so lost, for you."

I cannot believe I am down to less then a week...where have the past 8 weeks gone?! During orientation, they told us how fast this would go, but it's absolutely crazy now that I am nearing the end. I have mixed feelings about leaving, definitely.

Monday morning I went to work to get started on my article that (hopefully) will get published sometime next week! It's on the congressional race in the fifth district of Connecticut. It's really neat, but I am finding out just how difficult dealing with people can be. But, it has definitely worked out in the end. More on that later...We also had our editorial meeting, which was hilarious, as always. That's the thing I look forward to the most on Mondays definitely.
Monday night was my internship seminar class, and we handed in our final papers...phew, what a relief! We had Diana Banister of Shirley & Banister Public Affairs come and talk to us about public relations and the press. It was so interesting, and I basically loved her--probably because she's a kick butt Republican woman who has awesome views about politics and agrees with me 100% on all of the issues haha :)
After, we all took my friend Kelsey out for ice cream for her 21st birthday! I am absolutely going to miss this group of people SO much come Friday...They are all in IPJ as well and the most amazing group of people, ever.



Tuesday morning I went into work again. Wrote, researched, talked, edited, read. All of the usual tasks. Mr. Barnes is in Florida all week on vacation/writing a piece about the upcoming elections in Florida, so the office has been quiet, but a lot of work has gotten done which is a plus!
Tuesday night I had my Econ midterm. No more explanation needed on that one...

Wednesday I went into my internship and worked hard to get some things done. I actually had a free night on Wednesday--shocker, I know--and it was amazing. I left the office around 4:30 and, with the recommendation of a wonderful lady I work with, went to the National Portrait Gallery. It was awesome. The Hall of Presidents was so neat, and the exhibits were just incredible. It is a actually a "2 for 1 deal" because the National Museum of American Art is the other half of the museum. Now this was very neat, but, maybe I just don't get some of the types of art people do? Don't get me wrong, I absolutely love art and I am amazed by certain people's ability to produce quality pieces of artwork. But, how is a huge slab of blue cement a piece of art? Those types of things I'll just never understand.
Wednesday night was awesome. My friends Chelsea, Sheliah and I went to a concert on U Street. If you remember reading a few weeks ago, a band called "The Honey Guns" came and performed at TFAS. Well we decided to go see them downtown because they are amazing and it's always good to support local bands.








Thursday I went to my internship for a usual day. Also had Econ class that night...wahooooooo Well, I showed my Econ midterm whose boss, so that's good at least :)

Friday morning I went to half of my class (I know, I'm such a rebel sometimes I can't even handle it) No, really. The only reason I left early is because Bill Kristol took all of the interns at TWS out to lunch for a "thank you for working and not getting paid" end of the summer. It was such a nice lunch and it just made me remember how much I really enjoyed all the work I got to do in his office this summer. It's truly been an amazing experience, that's for sure. One thing that's been bothering me a little though--okay, a lot--is the fact that NO ONE can seem to get along anymore when it comes to politics. I realize that everyone differs in their own opinions, but it has come to the point of attacking people. This whole NPR radio comment with Sandy Spitz and how, if she witnessed Rush Limbaugh dying of a heart attack, she would "laugh loudly and watch his eyes bug out." Who says this kind of thing? Whether you agree with someone or absolutely find them repulsive, these types of comments are just not portraying human decency anymore; and it's getting scary. The Journolisters wanting to shut down Fox News because they don't like what Fox has to say...well, tough. Don't watch? It's just so frustrating to me what journalism has become. It's so hard to find decent, good, unbiased reporting these days. Everyone is just attacking and bad mouthing everyone else at every possible opportunity. Especially with the JournoList exposure making news. These liberal, terrible so called "journalists" are going around accusing Republicans of being "racist"...pretty sure this is the oldest argument in the book. Just because you didn't vote for Obama or you don't like him now, it doesn't make you a racist...maybe you just think he is doing a terrible job? Yeah. Well, if you have time, read this article that Mr. Barnes had in The Wall Street last week after he was accused of being a racist by JournoList. It is amazing and sums up my feelings exactly. http://online.wsj.com/article/SB10001424052748704684604575381083191313448.html?mod=WSJ_Opinion_LEADTop

Okay, sorry, tangent over. Where was I? Oh yes, Friday. I stayed at work until about 7pm because my source for my article called me back Wednesday so I'm putting together everything I have so I can hand it in before next week. Friday night, I went to go see "Inception" with one of my IPJ friends Michelle. We are the only two out of our group of friends who aren't 21, so we couldn't tag along to the bars with them. It really stinks, but I won't get into that haha. Anyways, "Inception" was AMAZING. One of the best movies I have seen in a very, very long time. I'd love to pick the director's brain and figure out how the heck he came up with this movie...amazing.

Saturday I met Sky for lunch in Gtown! It was SO fun and I loved seeing her. I love being able to converse with someone who knows the high school experience I had, it makes for a lot of laughs and "oh my gosh, no way! he/she got kicked out!" haha it was quite a fun afternoon. We went to a Spanish restaurant and got Tapas, then got Ben & Jerry's. It was 100+ degrees today, and the humidity was even worse. I can't stand this heat, it's so awful. It's almost hard to breathe!

Okay well, I am on deadline for my article! Must get to work. Tomorrow I need to do 2 econ assignments, laundry, start packing (scary), finish my article, clean, and get ready for the week! Maybe we will walk to Gtown cupcake and get the free flavor of the day...as long as the line is not around the block like it was this afternoon. Why people wait in line for a half an hour for one cupcake is beyond me...

Have a wonderful week everyone! The next time I update will probably be at the end of the week when I am in my house in MD with my family! Can't wait to see them!!!

Huntley

No comments:

Post a Comment