Tuesday, June 15, 2010

"If at first you don't succeed, try, try again. Then quit. No use being a damn fool about it."

On Sunday night, my roommates and I all went to visit the monuments. Although I've already seen them all before, it was still a really nice experience. Here are a few a pictures:





Monday morning I went to my internship and continued to do lots of reading and writing. I met with Mr. Barnes, and he explained to me that basically I have free reign to write about anything I want too. Wow, what an opportunity! My goal for the summer you may ask? To get something published. I already have an idea brewing, so we shall see where it goes! If you haven't visited the website, here is a link to the homepage. You can also read the blog which is updated 24/7.
http://weeklystandard.com/

Monday night was Ethics class from 6:30-9:30 which was once again, really interesting. After a long day of work though, it's hard to be alert for another 3 hour class!

This morning, Tuesday, we had a "meet your mentor" breakfast in Chinatown. We got a free breakfast from TFAS out of it which was great and it was a lot of fun besides the red line metro being backed up for 45 minutes!!! answer me this: WHY oh WHY would you choose to do construction on the DC metro during rush hour on a week day?! It makes no sense to me...anyways, my mentor works with the Podesta Group on U street and is involved with PR. Her name is Marta and she is really nice! I get to have a tour of her office next week, and it's just another great way to network here in DC.

After breakfast I went back to work and worked on three different stories. It was really interesting to try and make my ideas come to life, and I can tell right now that I am going to be really challenged this summer to work hard and test my abilities. I am just glad I am getting so much experience early on in the field!

Then tonight we had my seminar class and David Mark, the executive editor for politico, came and spoke to us. He was awesome and I really enjoyed what he had to say. He talked about his book that he published which focused on the idea of "negative campaigning." Then we came back and watched Obama's Oval Office speech. Everyone always tells me that I am so one sided, so I hope everyone takes notice of this event!

Well, that's all for now. Hope you're all having a nice week :)
<3 Huntley

No comments:

Post a Comment