Wednesday, June 23, 2010

"Oh baby, baby, it's a wild world."

Hello my lovely readers! Hope everyone is doing splendidly.

Monday was a very busy day at work. I had three projects to do for three different people, so it definitely kept me very busy. The day flew by because I was "go, go, going" all day long. Then Monday night at 6:30 was our Ethics midterm. I was prepared for the worst, but it actually wasn't too bad. Not easy by any means, but not the hardest test I have ever taken...hopefully it turns out well! Then we had to sit through an hour of class after the exam which was the most draining part of the day.

Tuesday morning was awesome. We got to go to Capitol Hill to sit in on a briefing on the floor of the House of Representatives. A Republican Congressman from Nebraska came and spoke to us about how the House works. It was really, really neat. The worst part? 1) Getting up at 5:30am! 2) The $17.50 cab ride! Taking the metro at 6 am in DC is a death wish, so my roommates and I decided to split cab fare. Well, the driver wound up going the most round about way possible (probably because we were young girls and he knew we wouldn't say anything). But anyways, the briefing and the entire morning was awesome. Here are a few pics:







After that was over, I headed to work for the day. Thinking it would be an easy commute at usual, I moseyed my way off the metro to walk to my office, and what obstacle is put in my way but a "closed sidewalk" sign a few blocks away from my office that read: "detour: this way -->" so, I think to myself, hey, no biggie, I am 45 minutes early, I'll just walk around it. HAHA yeah, well that didn't work out so well. I wound up getting COMPLETELY turned around. Whoever decided it was a good idea to put State names intermixed with letters and then make the numbers go all diagonally STINKS. But anyway, I made it in only a few minutes late so it was no problem. At 11, I had my interview with Mr. Hanna about the story I am writing. It was great and I pretty much just worked on that for the rest of the day. In my seminar class that night, we had Michael Caldrone come and speak to us. He used to be a blogger for POLITICO, but he is now a news analyst for YAHOO. He was neat and I definitely enjoyed hearing what he had to say.

Today, Wednesday, I continued to work on my article for TWS. I handed it in, got some feedback, and now am going to revise it and speak to Mr. Hanna for a follow up tomorrow. So stay posted! One thing I have learned is that you just have to role with the punches. Take what you can get, fix what you have, and produce something even better. That is my goal for this summer! To research, investigate and come up with some truly original and insightful pieces of journalism!

For our Wednesday night speaker series, we had no other than, guess who? Yupp, Fred Barnes! Small world, ehh? He brought along a really neat gal, Mary Katherine Ham, who is a reporter for TWS too. She is amazing and was an awesome speaker along with Mr. Barnes. They talked about the future of journalism and what it holds in store for my generation.

Well, I am off to bed. I'll update again soon.
<3 Huntley

No comments:

Post a Comment